1. Why are these tourists from Sudbury so happy?
– They won all of their games at the lacrosse tournament held at Bell H.S.
2. Why do these Bell’s Corners kids look so smug?
– They’re Catholic students enjoying their privileged position as the ONLY religion that gets to run faith-based schools with taxpayer funds (they even get MORE funding per capita than the public board!). Catholics and corrupt politicians like Rick LOVE it – Protestants, Jews, Muslims, agnostics, Christian fundamentalists and taxpayers – not so much.
3. What on earth is going on at Al’s Steak House?
– Dealing with a badly leaking roof on Bells Corners’ most important heritage building is just the start of the major renovations – the community-minded East India Company boss has big plans and a tantalizing vision.
4. Where is the BEST place to eat breakfast in Bells Corners?
– The big chains hoover up 90% of the breakfast dollars in Bells Corners thanks to their corporate marketing muscle, but ALL of the small independents like Grazie! and Miki’s offer a much better deal.
4. What were these tourists doing in Bells Corners?
– The dapper dad is getting treatment at the Queensway-Carleton. The mother told me that they were enjoying their first visit to the South, but she found it a VERY strange place. The girl hasn’t started school yet, and so didn’t speak any English, but, judging by her non-stop laughing and giggling, I’m guessing she enjoyed her ride on the Bells Corners FREE Bike-taxi.
5. Where is this graffiti located and why hasn’t it been removed?
– It’s official graffiti on Old Robertson Road so there’s no need to remove it.
6. Why was there live music last Sunday in the Bio-Test/Pizza Hut plaza?
– The tattoo place in the Bio-Test/Pizza Hut plaza was celebrating its fifth birthday with a DYNAMITE parking lot party with music by Cadillac Rumble, one of Ottawa’s hottest bands.
7. Where is the ABSOLUTE BEST Asian food in Bells Corners?
– I don’t eat out much, and I’m more gourmand than gourmet, but I was blown away by the DELICIOUS food at the Tandoori Fusion next to McDonald’s. Even Gordon Ramsay would give it at least three thumbs up.
8. Which Bells Corners store offers the BEST merchandise at the LOWEST price?
– The Salvation Army Thrift Store on Moodie, victim of a recent brazen armed robbery, has amazingly entertaining auctions at least once a month.
9. Did Rick drive his car to the RedSacks game?
– Do bears poop in the woods? He wouldn’t tell Susan Sherring of the Sun how he got to the game, but it sure wasn’t by bike.
10. Why are so many residents upset about the Coffee & Company/LVCA air conditioner?
– The guys redoing the courts for the semi-private Lynwood Park Tennis Club are storing all the chemicals in the basement, and the noxious fumes are being circulated into the Coffee & Company/LVCA space, causing the yoga people to feel nauseous and lose their concentration. Some got headaches and had to flee the building. Even dog owners are upset that their pooches have been tramautized by the “improvements” to the park. Other residents object to the misappropriation of public funds for the benefit of private interests.
11. Does all the recent action at the boarded-up Tim Horton’s mean that it will soon open as a Mr. Shawarma?
– The contract isn’t signed yet but it’ll likely be either a shawarma joint or another drive-thru ca$h business.
12. What is an Eco-bar and what’s it got to do with Bell’s Corners?
– The founder of this AMAZING store will be giving the keynote address at the Sat. Oct. 17 ECO-Fair.
13. What’s the REAL reason Staples is closing on Sept. 13?
14. Do residents like the new turf along the strip?
– The fresh stuff looks good, the slightly older stuff is already looking tatty and by next year the salt and exhaust fumes will complete the transformation to weed strips.
15. Are bargains still available at the Canadian Tire garden centre?
– Yes, there’s still lots left.
Bells Corners quiz 7
Bells Corners quiz 6
Bells Corners quiz 5
Bells Corners quiz 4
Bells Corners quiz 3
Bells Corners quiz 2
Bells Corners quiz